Calif. AG Says Most Companies Act Quickly to Prevent Privacy Enforcement


[ad_1]

The California flag flies over City Hall in Santa Monica, California on February 6, 2009. REUTERS / Lucy Nicholson

  • The state has passed the one-year milestone of CCPA enforcement
  • Attorney General Bonta Launches New Online Privacy Tool

(Reuters) – The majority of companies that have received notices from the California Department of Justice regarding an alleged violation of state privacy law have addressed the issue within the statutory 30-day deadline, California Attorney General Rob Bonta said Monday.

The California Attorney General’s Office began enforcing the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) on July 1, 2020. Since then, 75% of state-notified businesses have complied, while the remaining 25% are “either in their 30 day window. or are actively investigated, “Bonta said at a press conference on the first year of law enforcement.

Under the Privacy Act, companies have 30 days to “remedy” an alleged violation after being notified, before the attorney general’s office can take enforcement action.

California made waves when it enacted privacy law in 2018, giving consumers the right to know what personal information a business has collected about them and the ability to ask a business to delete or to stop selling their personal data.

“Through the CCPA here in California, you control your personal information,” Bonta said. “And I encourage every Californian to exercise their rights under the CCPA.”

The law entered into force in January 2020, with application starting six months later. California’s action prompted other states to consider their own legislation, and Virginia and Colorado have since passed consumer protection laws. California voters last fall approved a measure to update privacy law, with the changes coming into effect in January 2023.

Without offering specific numbers of notices sent or company names, Bonta gave examples of alleged violations and notices in the first year.

In one situation, users of a “social media platform” claimed that the company did not respond quickly and that users did not know the status of CCPA requests, Bonta said. The company changed its procedures after the notice from the California Department of Justice, he said. In another, an “online dating app” did not have a mandatory “do not sell my personal information” link until contacted, Bonta noted, among other examples.

The results “are really encouraging,” he said. “We find that businesses are motivated and able to comply with the law.”

Bonta also unveiled a new online tool on Monday that allows consumers to directly notify businesses of possible violations.

Read more:

California Attorney General Becerra describes CCPA’s ABCs as app goes into effect

California prop 24 set to shake up the state’s privacy landscape

New California Privacy Council includes academics, government alumni, and law firms

Q&A: What’s next for California Consumer Privacy Act litigation

Our Standards: Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

[ad_2]

About Charles D. Goolsby

Check Also

SC Judge Sanjay Kishan Kaul Highlights Importance of Philanthropy in Legal Education

NEW DELHI“The Singhvi Endowment represents the best of Dr. Abhishek M. Singhvi’s views and contribution …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.